As a Strive Appraisal Administrator, you will click the Appraisal Settings navigation button when you enter Strive in order to manage the application.
There are seven different categories for evaluation templates, and the templates are created using the same form builder. However, the template options will differ for each category of templates.
- Reflection Documents
- Walkthrough Documents
- Observation Documents
- Evaluation Documents
- Summative Documents
- Intervention Documents
- Group Evaluation Documents
Creating a New Template
- Click Evaluation Templates under Configuration Options.
- Click New Template in the bottom left.
- Enter a title for the template and select the template document type.
- Select between a new blank template or copying an existing one.
Once you complete the wizard, you will begin editing the template.
Template Information Tab
Make any corrections to the title, change the template icon, and choose whether or not the template should be scored.
To change the icon for the template, click on the small yellow feet to view a list of available icons. Give it a moment to download the list, as there are quite a few options.
Evaluation Templates will default to simple, not scored. However, should you wish a template to tally and calculate, select advanced, with calculations. This will present you with several options.
Attach the template to a framework. This will add advanced capability to add dimensions from a framework to specific question types.
You will need to decide how to score each group and the entire evaluation. As shown above, the groups can be scored by averaging each item, totaling each item, selecting the highest item, or not scoring each group at all. The entire evaluation can obtain a score by averaging each group, totaling each group, selecting the highest group, averaging each item, totaling each item, selecting the highest item, or not at all. Ideally, through the use of these options, you can replicate or mimic the existing scoring process of any existing form or template.
Template Options Tab
Select options to set the behavior of the evaluation template.
Note: Depending on the document category, these options will differ.
- Record the start and end times for the evaluation - requires evaluator to record time for each evaluation.
- Allow the appraiser to make the evaluation viewable to the staff member - gives evaluator the option to make the evaluation viewable to the staff member when they log in to Strive.
- Enable this evaluation on a mobile device - if the evaluator will be conducting the evaluation in either of these methods, this option will need to be checked.
- Record the class for this evaluation - enables "Class" field for evaluator to enter information about the evaluation.
- Enable discussion comments by the appraiser and appraisee - allows appraiser and appraisee to add comments to this particular evaluation. An email will be sent to either party as a notification that there has been a comment added. Note: discussion comments will be permanently attached to the evaluation. The only way to delete a comment is to delete the evaluation completely.
- Prevent changes to the evaluation once it is submitted or marked viewable - if this is option is chosen, the document or evaluation becomes read-only after it is submitted or marked viewable.
- Once a teacher submits a goals document, the teacher will not be able to make any additional changes to the document.
- Once an appraiser makes an evaluation viewable to the appraisee, the appraiser will not be able to make additional changes to the evaluation.
- Only display appraisal items to the staff member that have been selected or completed by the appraiser - If this option is chosen, the staff member would not see the checkboxes and text from the evaluation that the appraiser did not select or fill out for the staff member.
- Allow appraisers to lock the instrument so that only the appraiser, staff member being evaluated and district viewers may view the evaluation content - This adds a new "Lock" icon to the Appraiser's screen when editing an evaluation they've created that uses this template. This allows the appraiser to lock the evaluation so that campus appraisal viewers at the appraisee's campus cannot see the evaluation. The only people that can see the Locked evaluation are the Appraiser, the Appraisee, and District personnel with District Viewing Rights. One example scenario in which View Locking might be used is when a Superintendent does an evaluation on a Principal. By locking the evaluation, other Principals on that campus cannot see the Superintendent's evaluation on their fellow Principal.
Edit Template Tab
Create and edit the evaluation template. Fill out the template by adding groups.
Evaluation templates are composed of groups, matrix groups, and items. A group contains one or more items. For instance, a section on a form entitled "Classroom Management" may contain several check boxes about how a teacher manages their classroom. The entire section "Classroom Management" is the group, and the individual check boxes would each be an item. Items can be check boxes, check boxes with text (does not function on handhelds), comment boxes, or instructions.
Matrix groups are special groups designed to store information in a columns and rows format. You can have as many rows as desired, however you can only have up to five columns. Ideally these are used to rate staff on various things across up to five levels of performance. For instance, is a staff member's relationship with parents Very good, Good, Average, Poor, or Very poor?
Creating and Editing New Groups
- Choose New from the drop-down list and choose New Group or New Matrix Group
- Type in a name for the new group under Group Name and click Update
- Continue adding as many groups as you need
- Use the Up or Down arrows to change the group order
- Click on the group name again to rename the group
- Click the red X to delete a group
With group(s) created, you will need to add items to those groups.
Creating and Editing Items within Groups
- Click on the group you wish to add items to.
- Choose New from the drop-down list and choose New Item.
- Type in the name of the new item under Item Name and choose the type of item from the drop-down box.
- Types of items:
- Check Box - allows the evaluator to make selections by clicking the box.
- Check Box with Text - allows evaluator to type text next to the Check Box. A common example would be when you have an 'Other' option and the evaluator needs to enter text. NOTICE: Does not function on handhelds!
- Comment Box - allows the evaluator to enter text, and you will need to select how many lines tall this box should be.
- Instructions - instructions about the template itself.
- Types of items:
- Click Update to add the item to that group.
- Continue adding as many items as needed.
- Use the Up or Down arrows to change the item order.
- Click the item name again to rename the item.
- Click the red X to delete an item.
One you have added all the necessary groups and items for those groups, you can use the Previewbutton to see what the new template will look like. Remember to click Save in order to save changes to the template. Use the Delete Template button at the top should you need to delete this walkthrough template.
As you change the template, it will not modify the existing evaluations created using this template. However, if you wish to retroactively update all existing evaluations that have used this template to match your changes, then click Update Existing Walkthroughs to update any walkthrough templates already completed. Use caution when updating a template, as you can erase information.
*NOTE: In order for your new Evaluation template to be available to the Appraiser, you will need to connect it to an Appraisee Type that will be using that template for evaluations.