Scantron Slugging and Scanning
When creating a test to be used with the scantron answer sheets, refer to the guidelines listed below. If any conditions are not met, the Scantron checkbox and slug button will be disabled.
- No open ended response question types
- No more than 60 multiple choice questions on a test
- Multiple selection answers are not supported
- Selected response questions have a limit of 5 answer choices, fewer is OK
- Numerical responses (griddables):
- No more than 12 numerical responses
- Should be at the end of the test
- Total length of the response cannot be greater than 9 characters, including all numbers, the decimal, and the minus symbol if required
- On the Students Tab, the option selected teachers for printing cannot be selected
Scantron sheets must be slugged by a test administrator, not a teacher. A test administrator is any staff member with the Data Administrator, Campus Administrator, or Campus Local Assessment Printer role.
Prior to slugging scantron sheets, download the slug software, located at http://downloads.schoolobjects.com/scantron/mergeprintsetup.zip
Note: As an alternative to slugging, the student’s ID number can be bubbled on the Scantron and then scanned in with the scanning application. If teachers create their own tests, they will need to bubble in student ID numbers since they are unable to slug answer sheets.
Once the test is created and the slug software has been downloaded:
- Access the test from the Manage Tab, under Administer Tests
- Select the option Allow third-party preprinted form testing, located under the Administration Tab on the test
- Click Export Slug File
**If box is grayed out, then one of the conditions above has not been met.
The wizard on the right will display the campuses, teachers, and sections that will export. Deselect any of these to narrow down which answer sheets will be printed. Click Finish.
On the File Download window, click Save and save the .txt file on the desktop.
Double click on the Eduphoria Merge Print application to open it.
- Select the button and locate the file that was downloaded, located on the desktop
- Click the Print button
Enter the print range or select All to print all the Scantron sheets. Click Print.
Adjust printer alignment to align with the scantron sheets for your printer.
The student’s name and local ID number will be slugged on the Scantron sheet.
Documents are scored using the Scantron OBS (one-button scan) application. Download the application at http://downloads.schoolobjects.com/scantron/onebuttonscan.zip prior to scanning.
When scanning answer sheets, follow the two guidelines listed below:
- Use the same test type form in each batch of scanning. For example, do not mix a single test form with a multi-test or a numeric test form. Each test type will need to be scanned in separate batches
- Scan the same test in the same batch as well
- Multi-test forms must use the same test number on the form within the same batch
Once the scanning application is installed, double click on the EDUPH OBS icon to open the application.
Load the scantron sheets on the scanner. Select the correct scanner and click Start Scanning. Click Yes to the message to overwrite the existing file.
Once the scantron sheets are scanned, click Stop Scanning. A csv file will be saved to C:/Program Files/EDUPH_OBS/Data Files/Output.csv and will need to be uploaded into Aware. To keep a record of all files scanned, rename the file. Be careful not to scan more than one batch prior to uploading into Aware, unless the output file is being renamed each time. Otherwise, each new scan overwrites the existing output file.
Once the Scantron answer sheets are scanned, they can be uploaded into aware by selecting Upload Scantron Files from the Administration Tab of the test. (Locate the test by logging into Aware, selecting the Manage Tab, clicking Administer Tests, and selecting the test.)
On the Scantron Upload Wizard, select Browse and locate the scan file. (The browser will remember this location for the next scan.)
The file will be located at C:/Program Files/EDUPH_OBS/Data Files/Output.csv. Click Next.
**Multi-test form only – Select which test to use (1-4).
On the Verification screen, any possible errors will be listed, along with the student’s name, ID number, and the error description.
- Valid: Forms which have all answers filled out
- Possible Errors: Forms which may be missing answers or have double bubbles
- Invalid: Forms which a matching student could not be found, mismatching test forms, or bad data
Any corrections will need to be made on the scantron sheet and rescanned, or by the teacher online.
Click Next and Finish.