As a principal, you will need to setup your appraisal list, your campus rating, and your walkthrough template before starting PDAS on your campus.
Setting Up Your Teacher List
From the Evaluations Tab, click on PDAS Management. This enables you to select your teachers and indicate how they should be appraised. When clicking on a staff member's name, you will be able to choose between using PDAS, PDAS Exempt, or an alternate evaluation tool.
- PDAS allows walkthroughs, formal observations, and a summative evaluation. Teachers can also complete the Teacher Self Report.
- PDAS Exempt will allow custom forms to be used alongside walkthroughs. This option is designed for districts that allow teachers to attain an exempt status. Appraisers can conduct walkthroughs and select from the district’s list of custom evaluations, but observations and summatives cannot be completed. You may also be able to set the next year that this teacher will need to be fully appraised.
- Alternate Instrument is designed for non-instructional staff such as paraprofessionals, secretaries, librarians, etc. When appraising these staff you will be able to choose from a list of district appraisal forms that have been created in the system.
You will become the formal appraiser for every staff member that you select.
The My Staff tab also indicates whether a teacher has submitted PDAS sections I, II and III and how many evaluations have been completed. Export a status report to excel by clicking on the Export to Excel button.
To select a teacher to evaluate:
- Select a teacher in the list and click their name
- A pop up indicating their current evaluator and instrument will appear
Select either PDAS, *PDAS Exempt, or Alternate Instrument to have the teacher assigned to you. In the case of two or more evaluators, the formal appraiser should be the one listed as the Appraiser. Other principals can evaluate this staff member, but will not be listed as the formal appraiser. It is also important to keep in mind teachers WILL NOT be able to access SchoolObjects:PDAS until they have been assigned a formal appraiser.
APPRAISER NOTE: If you are set as a Vice Principal/Limited Appraiser you will only be able to view and appraise those staff you have chosen to formally appraise. However, if you are also set as a Campus Walkthrough Appraiser, you will be able to do walkthroughs on all staff on your campus. Your access levels are controlled by the SchoolObjects administrator.
When selecting PDAS Exempt, you also have the option to select the next year that teacher will be evaluated:
To organize viewing of appraises, simply click on any column heading to sort the list of staff members. For example, click on “Instrument” and all staff members will be sorted by what instrument they are appraised.
Use the filter option to select criteria to change the view of staff members. Appraisers can filter the view by:
- Staff met or not met principal goals
- Staff they formally appraise
- Staff with a specific number (or more or less) of certain evaluations
- A date range
Use the Filter button to enter and Reset to begin a new filter.
Principals can set the number of desired evaluations to complete per staff member during the school year. First check the box to Enable Evaluator Goals, and then enter a value for each type of evaluation. The summative is simply a check box. Make sure to click Save before moving to another tab.
Setting the Campus Rating
Principals should enter their campus rating and AYP indicators (if needed). Make sure to click Save before moving to another tab.
To set your campus rating
- Select the Campus Rating tab in the PDAS management area
- Select a campus if you are a principal on more than one campus
- Enter the appropriate rating information
- Click the Save button
Note: You only need to enter this information once for each campus.
Setting the Walkthrough Template
PDAS will enable you to choose from a district-created menu of walkthrough templates. You can choose from your selected templates when creating a new walkthrough evaluation. The templates chosen here will also appear on a mobile device. You must choose at least one template in order to create walkthrough evaluations.
- Use the drop-down list to view the various walkthrough templates
- Once you have selected the template you want to use, check the Use this template
- Repeat for each desired template
Setting Up Appraiser Status Emails
As an appraiser, you can choose to have emails sent to you weekly (Sunday evening) or monthly (first of the month) updating you on the status of PDAS on your campus.
- Check the Send a status email to me each… box to activate the emails
- Choose whether or not you prefer emails weekly or monthly by clicking in the drop-down box and choosing 'Week' or 'Month'
- Select what information you want included in the email by checking the box next to each item
- Click Save
Note: The information you want included in the email can be changed at any time.