Setting Up the Local Item Bank
Before teachers are able to contribute to the local item bank in Aware, some set up needs to occur on the Item Bank tab.
- Click on Approve Questions in the lower left, then click on Set Access Method. Select the check box next to staff members may contribute to the local item bank. By default, all items will be submitted for review and publication within the local item bank. If you check the box next to questions contributed by staff members are automatically approved, there will be no review and items submitted by teachers will automatically be added to the local item bank.
- After checking the appropriate boxes, select Set Default Security. Under the Local Bank tab, you may set the availability of local bank questions for different levels of tests. Select Save when you are finished making your choices. Note: If a teacher writes a test question and it is approved, it will still show up for that teacher when creating a Teacher test even if the box is not selected. Other teachers will not have access to that question.
- To create groups to approve item bank submissions, navigate to Management.
- Select Manage User Groups from the left side of the window, then select Create a New Group.
- Name the group, then select Next and Finish.
- Add specific users to the group using the search bar. After adding your users, select Save. Your group can now be assigned to a workflow, as described in the section above.
View the following video: Setting Up the Local Item Bank for Workflow Approvals
Local Item Bank Review Workflows
- To create Item Bank Workflows, select the Item Bank tab in Aware, then select Item Bank Workflows in the lower left.
- Select New Workflow, then give your workflow a name. Select Save.
- On the right side of the screen, choose all the courses that apply to this workflow's approval process. Expand the folders to browse, or use the search bar. Check the appropriate boxes to add courses to your workflow, then select Finish.
- Next, select Add Workflow Step near the top of the window. Approval steps require an action, and notification steps will send users an email. Select Approval Step. Search for the staff member or group who will be responsible for approving local item bank questions when they are submitted. Note: One approval step is the minimum required for a workflow. Approval steps and notifications may be added to suit your needs.
View the following video: Creating Local Item Bank Review Workflows in Aware
Reviewing and Publishing Items Submitted to the Local Bank
Item approvers should navigate to the Item Bank tab in Aware, then selecting Approve Questions. Any items awaiting approval will appear in the column labeled Approve Questions in the associated course's folder.
Approvers may choose one of the following:
Reject: Sends the question back to the creator.
Force Publish: Publishes question, skipping over all other approval steps.
Approve: Sends the question to the next approval step.
Remove: Deletes the question completely. Not recommended for general use.
Approvers may also edit questions within the approval screen. Formatting, question type, standards, and resources are all available to edit.
View the following video: Reviewing and Publishing Items Submitted to the Local Item Bank