What Your Appraisers Need To Do
Principal Webinar Training - T-TESS for Principals, Start to Finish - July 28, 2016
STEP 1 - Select Teachers
- From the Eduphoria! home screen, open Appraise.
- Go to Evaluations Tab and then click Appraiser Setup.
- Click on a teacher’s name from your list of teachers.
- Click in the Radio Button “I will evaluate this staff member using” and choose T-TESS Teacher. Click OK. Remember: 1) Until an appraiser has selected a teacher to be appraised, the teacher will not see Appraise on his/her home screen. 2) Once selected, the teacher will have access to the blank Goals document to complete and submit.
- Repeat for all teachers.
STEP 2 - Communicate with Teachers about Goals
After a teacher creates a goal, they will submit them to the appraiser for approval.
Appraiser will receive a notification email that a goal for a teacher has been submitted, click on the link provided to be directed to the teacher’s goal.
- Goal tab - Includes details of the goal, including dimensions (or area of focus) related to the goal
- Messages tab - At any time you can send the teacher a message and visa versa. This was created to foster ongoing communication between the staff member and the appraiser.
- Evidence tab - As the teacher makes progress toward each goal throughout the year, documentation can be added to validate progress.
- Text files
- File upload
- Web link
- Workshop Portfolio integration - PD attended that supports goal
**NOTE: Principal/Appraiser can also add evidence to the teacher’s goal
- History tab - This tab will ONLY show if a teacher edits the original goal. When the teacher updates/edits the goal, approval is needed again. The history tab offers a snapshot view of the original goal, so the history of the goal can be tracked.
(This document is optional.)
- Once teachers have submitted their Goals Document, you will be able to view it and all documents by clicking on the teacher’s name in the far left column. As teachers update their document throughout the school year, they only need to click Save.
- There are sections within the Goals Documents that allow for appraisers to make comments for the teachers to view. This is a new feature added to Appraise. One tip is to add a date to the comment before clicking Save. Teachers will not receive notification that a comment has been made within these comments sections.
- There is another way for appraisers to add comments. This comments tool can be used to make comments to the teacher and view comments from the teacher. Every time a comment is saved, the recipient will receive and email. However, comments cannot be edited or deleted once saved.
- When you are ready to do an evaluation, click on the teacher’s name in the My Staff list. At the bottom of the left hand window, click New Evaluation. Use the New Evaluation pane on the right and select the type of evaluation you will be doing from the dropdown menu.
- To do a Walkthrough, select Walkthrough Documents. Select the document you want to use, and click Next.
- Select the Date of the Walkthrough, and add a start time and end time. Enter a class name or other description of the session being observed. For example, 3rd period Biology, or math block. Click Next, and then Finish.
- You can use the Scripted Comments icon to open a window where you can take notes as you observe. Use the new blue circle with an arrow to expand the comments section for more screen space to type. Click the X to close this pane. The staff member will not be able to see what is written in the Scripted Comments section. They will be retained here for later use in the completion of the walkthrough document.
- Click on the document itself to check the items observed or list evidence seen. These Walkthrough templates are not scored.
- You can use the Comments tool, just like in the Goals Document, to communicate with the staff member. They will receive an email when you save a comment is saved and will have the ability to send comments to you as well. Remember, Comments cannot be edited or deleted once saved and it is a good idea to include the date in your comment.
- When you have completed the Walkthrough document and Saved it, click Let Staff View. The staff member will get an email notification and then be able to see the walkthrough in his/her evaluation documents.
- When you are ready to do an Observation, click on the teacher’s name in the My Staff list. At the bottom of the left hand window, click New Evaluation. Use the New Evaluation pane on the right and select Observation Documents from the dropdown menu.
- Select the T-TESS Observation Rubric. Click Next.
- Select the Date of the Observation, and add a start time and end time. Enter a class name or other description of the session being observed. For example, “3rd period Biology”, or “math block”. Click Next, and then Finish.
- As in Walkthroughs, you can use the Scripted Comments tool to take notes during the observation. Use the new blue circle with an arrow to expand the comments section for more screen space to type. Click the X to close this pane. The staff member will not be able to see what is written in the Scripted Comments section. They will be retained here for later use in the completion of the observation document.
- Use the Rubric document provided by the state to determine the score (distinguished, accomplished, proficient, developing, or improvement needed) for each of the Dimensions. Not all dimensions have to be scored for every observation.
- There are scoring calculations added to the observation rubric. If all of a Domain is completed and saved, an average will be calculated and shown at the top of the Domain.
- Don’t forget to add the notes and check the dimensions for the Areas of Reinforcement and Refinement for the post-observation conference.
- When the rubric is complete and saved, click Let Staff View. The teacher will then be able to open the Observation Rubric in his/her Appraisal Documents and see everything that you checked and the Domain averages.
- When ready to do the Summative, click on the teacher’s name in the My Staff list. At the bottom of the left hand window, click New Evaluation. Use the New Evaluation pane on the right and select Summative Documents from the dropdown menu.
- Select T-TESS Summative and click Next. Select the date and enter a class name if you wish. Click Next.
- You can choose to either copy an existing observation, average the prior observations, or start with a blank summative.
- If you choose to average prior observations and click next, you will see a list of all scored observations. You can check which ones to include, then click Next and Finish.
- The summative document will show the ratings from the averaged observation documents. The software allows for modifications of the scoring based on evidence collected through the year. You will be able to enter additional comments on the actual document. In addition, the Scripted Notes and the Comments are available, just as they were in the Goals, Walkthroughs and Observations.
- When finished and saved, click Let Staff View. The teacher received email notification and will then be able to open the Summative evaluation in his/her Appraisal Documents.
- On the Reports Tab, Document Analysis Report will provide collective data based on the document and filters selected.
- The Evaluation Status Report will display a log of documents complete by both teachers and appraisers. Notice the two different report types that can be generated.