Training Video - Best Practice Options for Setting Goals
Goals in Appraise:
In years past, users were able to create a Goals document and place it in the Documents to Complete section for the staff to fill out and submit to the Appraiser. After the document was submitted and approved, there was no option to communicate or expand on that original goal.
As teacher evaluations have evolved into more of a growth oriented plan, we have provided an updated and more robust option for staff members to create, track, and monitor goals.
Enhanced "New Goal" Feature
The "New Goals" feature is a fully integrated goals model to allow staff members to create and track the progress of their goal setting and professional development planning. This new model not only allows staff to take ownership of their growth, it encourages communication between the administrator and staff member to help each staff member keep track of their progress. It includes sections for Messaging between Appraiser and Appraisee as well as an area to upload Evidence for documentation of the goal progression.
**See additional documentation on the "New Goal" feature here.
Documents to Complete (Goals Documents)
This option is viable for any document that needs to be filled out at the beginning of the year and does not need to be edited or resubmitted. In addition, if you want to combine a beginning of the year "Self Assessment" with the goals plan, we have created an integration feature that allows staff members to select their goals from the "New Goal" feature instead of retyping the goals.
Goal Setting Process:
Option #1: Staff members will use the "New Goal" feature to create SMART goals for the year.
- Ongoing communication/messaging between appraiser and teacher.
- Tracking submission and approval of goals.
- Updating goals is tracked and time/date stamped for both parties.
- User can add evidence in multiple ways (text, links, upload documents, add Workshop Portfolio courses * if using Workshop).
- Ability to track T-TESS or custom created framework dimensions.
Option #2: Staff members will complete a Self Assessment and Goals Document located in the Documents to Complete section.
- This document is submitted to the Appraiser and revisited at the end of the year. Updating document is not tracked or time/date stamped.
- There is no option for Evidence collection in this option.
- Little options for back and forth communication between appraiser and teacher.
*Option #3: A combination of the "New Goal" feature and the "Goals Document" will provide districts with the ability to track additional information besides the staff goals in the Goals Document, but allow ongoing documentation on goal progress by using the New Goal feature.