This article will cover three components for using Evaluation Templates:
- Import templates from Eduphoria Community
- Edit existing templates
- Create a new template from scratch
Evaluation Templates are the forms used in the evaluation process. Forms exist in specific folders tied to customizable options for each form type. There are seven different categories for evaluation templates:
- Reflection Documents
- Walkthrough Documents
- Observation Documents
- Evaluation Documents
- Summative Documents
- Intervention Documents
- Group Evaluation Documents
Import Eduphoria Community Templates
Eduphoria Community is a feature available in Appraisal Settings to access forms created by eduphoria staff and district users. Forms are available for free to download and import into your system for use as-is or for editing to your specifications.
- In Appraisal Settings, click on Eduphoria Community
- Click on the green Refresh button to update your form list
Note: If you do not see Eduphoria Community in Appraisee Settings, click on General Options and deselect the checkbox for "Disable Access to Eduphoria Community" and click Save. Log out of Eduphoria and log back in to Strive, Appraisal Settings to view the option for Eduphoria Community.
Community forms are saved in specific folders. When you import a template, it will import directly into the same folder type in your system. So if you import a document from the Reflections folder, it will import into your Reflections folder. Forms cannot move from one folder type to another.
Navigate through the specific folder types to view evaluation templates. When you find one you want to use, click the Import Template button and the form will implement into the same folder in your settings.
For a time saver, use forms with " * NEW T-PESS/T-TESS" in the title. These forms are pre-tegged by T-TESS/T-PESS frameworks for use with summative panels.
Edit Existing Evaluation Templates
Note: The best time to edit evaluation templates in between the end and start of an evaluation year. Do not update or change existing and in-use templates during the evaluation year.
Editing Template Information
You may want will want to rename or change basic information about a form template. Use the Template Information tab to make specific changes.
- Change the Name of the Form:
Edit the title under the Template details
- Change the Template Icon:
Edit the icon under the Template details by clicking the icon to pull up other icon choices
- Deleting a Template:
Select Delete Template from the top menu bar
- Change how the template is scored:
Change from Simple, not scored to Advanced, with calculations
- Select the Framework tied to the form
Use the drop-down menu to select a specific framework for the evaluation form
- After making changes to Template Options, click Save to save changes.
- Click the Update Existing Documents to push updates out to users.
Editing Template Options
Based on the folder the template exists in, template options differ between form types. Check the boxes next to options specific to each form. Click Save to save changes and Update Existing Documents to push updates out to users.
Evaluation templates are composed of groups, matrix groups, and items.
A group contains one or more items. For instance, a section on a form entitled "Classroom Management" may contain several check boxes about how a teacher manages their classroom. The entire section "Classroom Management" is the group, and the individual check boxes would each be an item. A group can also be used to create a header for a form without attaching items to it.
The image below is a preview of a New Group including an Instruction box, 2 checkboxes, and 1 checkbox with a text field.
Matrix groups are special groups designed to store information in a columns and rows format. You can have as many rows as desired, however you can only have up to five columns. Ideally these are used to rate staff on various things across up to five levels of performance.
Below is a preview image of how Matrix Groups appear as columns and rows in a form.
Items can be check boxes, check boxes with text, comment boxes, or instructions.
Creating and Editing New Groups
- Choose New from the drop-down list and choose New Group or New Matrix Group
- Type in a name for the new group under Group Name and click Update
- Continue adding as many groups as you need
- Use the Up or Down arrows to change the group order
- Click on the group name again to rename the group
- Click the red X to delete a group or specific item.
Creating and Editing Items within Groups
- Click on the group you wish to add items to.
- Choose New from the drop-down list and choose New Item.
- Type in the name of the new item under Item Name and choose the type of item from the drop-down box.
- Types of items:
- Check Box - allows the evaluator to make selections by clicking the box.
- Check Box with Text - allows evaluator to type text next to the Check Box. A common example would be when you have an 'Other' option and the evaluator needs to enter text. NOTICE: Does not function on handhelds!
- Comment Box - allows the evaluator to enter text, and you will need to select how many lines tall this box should be.
- Instructions - instructions about the template itself.
- Goals - will pull enhanced goal information from Goals tab into a form
- Types of items:
- Click Update to add the item to that group.
- Continue adding as many items as needed.
- Use the Up or Down arrows to change the item order.
- Click the item name again to rename the item.
- Click the red X to delete an item.
One you have added all the necessary groups and items for those groups, you can use the Preview button to see what the new template will look like. Remember to click Save in order to save changes to the template. Use the Delete Template button at the top should you need to delete this walkthrough template.
As you change the template, it will not modify the existing evaluations created using this template. However, if you wish to retroactively update all existing evaluations that have used this template to match your changes, then click Update Existing Documents to update any walkthrough templates already completed. Use caution when updating a template, as you can erase information.
*NOTE: In order for your new Evaluation template to be available to the Appraiser, you will need to connect it to an Appraisee Type that will be using that template for evaluations.
Add a Column to a Form
If you have a form that only has only one radio button for selection, you may have users who accidentally select this option and need a way to deselect the choice. A checkbox allows for users to click an item on or off and can work independently of other choice options. A radio button requires multiple options to allow a user to click between grouped items to make a choice.
Some templates in our Eduphoria Community use ungrouped radio buttons that cause issues in Observations to not allow users to deselect a choice they did not mean to choose.
A fix for this is to edit the form and add a column to each group section where the radio buttons occur.
- Click on Evaluation Templates
- Open the template you need to edit
- Click the Edit Template tab
- You will need to click the Matrix Group to open up and reveal the Columns
- Click on Columns
- Enter the option for a second column and click Update
For this particular form, you could have a "Not-Observed" or "N/A" second column to put in place if you appraisers accidentally clicking the "Observed" option.
- Click Save and then click the Update Existing Documents button after changes are made to push the updated form out to all users.
Creating a New Template
- Click Evaluation Templates under Configuration Options.
- Click New Template in the bottom left.
- Enter a title for the template and select the template document type.
- For a new document, click the option to Create Blank Template.
Once you complete the wizard, you will begin editing the template.