Connecting Facilities & Events to Helpdesk provides a way to pull data from both systems together for cleaner reporting. It can be useful to track support tickets for items reserved or checked out in Facilities & Events. The image below is from Facilities & Events when viewing an item. There is a Tickets tab that connects to any support tickets entered in Helpdesk for the item tracked in the Facilities & Events inventory.
Facilities & Events
The person with the role of System Manager for Facilities & Events will be the one to manage the settings and have access to create or manage Custom Properties.
- Access Facilities & Events
- Click the Manage tab
- Click the section Custom Properties
- Use the Add a Custom Property button at the bottom to create new custom properties
*Note: Consider the type of custom properties you may want to track between Helpdesk and Facilities & Events. You may only want to connect by barcode or manufacturer. You do not want to create two many fields to have to connect together.
Once you create a Custom Property, click on it to check options before moving forward.
- Make sure the property is selected as searchable and not marked private.
Once the custom properties are created in Facilities & Events, move to use Helpdesk to continue forward.
Inside the Helpdesk application:
- Click Manage tab
- Click on Create Custom Properties
- If you do not have a properties, click the Add Custom Property button to add a matching property to what was created/used in Facilities & Events.
- Click on a property to define the matching property in Facilities & Events.
- Click Save
Helpdesk: Define Who Enters Custom Property Data
The final step in connecting the applications is to decide who will enter the information to be tracked in a Helpdesk ticket to the custom properties in Facilities & Events.
- Click on the Manage tab
- Click on Configure Request Types
- Select the department at the top if using multiple departments
- Select the Request Type Item
- Click the Additional Properties tab
- Use the options to select who will enter the information on the specific custom field.
*Note: Not all properties need to be used. Only select the custom properties that you will need to collect data from Helpdesk into your Facilities & Events properties.
Additional Property Field Explanation:
- Don't Use: This option means the field will not be available for requestor or technician to complete. It will not show up on the support ticket request form.
- Requestor: This option means the field will only be available for the requestor to use to enter information. It will be an input field on the initial support ticket request form that a requestor completes.
- Technician: This option means only the technician will be able to enter information into the field once the ticket is assigned to them.
- Optional: This option means that the field can have information entered by either the requestor or the technician.
After the fields are defined for who will enter information, Facilities & Events is linked to Helpdesk where information can now be shared as fields are completed in Helpdesk tickets.