This article contains information regarding the updates to the T-PESS framework and evaluation templates. The new T-PESS framework should be implemented by the 2021-22 school year for both Principals and Assistant Principals. Districts electing to begin using the new framework should receive updated TEA training and certification for the new framework.
From the T-PESS.org website: "New resources are available for districts using the updated version of T-PESS for the 2020-21 school year. The original T-PESS materials will be only available for 1 more year. Starting in the 2021-22 school year, ALL districts using T-PESS will need to have transitioned to the updated version."
Districts should only use the updated T-PESS framework and evaluation templates if they have received the updated T-PESS training program and are certified T-PESS appraisers. These trainings are offered by the Regional Education Service Centers (ESCs).
Side-by-Side Comparison of the T-PESS domain and dimension changes
T-PESS Framework for Principals
T-PESS Framework for Principals & Assistant Principals
Domain I: Instructional Leadership:
1A: Curricula and Assessments Alignment
1B: High-Quality Instructional Practices
1C: Student Data Monitoring
1D: Effective Instruction
Domain II: Human Capital:
2A: Recruitment and Retention
2B: Coaching and Professional Development
2C: Collaboration and Leadership
2D: Clear Expectations and Evaluations
Domain III: Executive Leadership
3B: Reflective and Responsive
3C: Effective Communication
3D: Ethical Practices
Domain IV: School Culture
4A: Shared Vision of High Achievement
4B: Monitors and Supports
4C: Family and Community Engagement
4D: Safe School Environment
4E: Discipline Management
Domain V: Strategic Operations
5A: Strategic Planning
5B: Maximized Learning Time
5C: Tactical Resource Management
5D: Policy Implementation and Advocacy
Domain I: Strong School Leadership & Planning
1.1 Ethics & Standards
1.2 Schedules for Core Leadership Tasks
1.3 Strategic Planning
1.4 Change Facilitation
1.5 Coaching, Growth, Feedback and Professional Development
Domain II: Effective, Well-Supported Teachers
2.1 Human Capital
2.2 Talent Management
2.3 Observations, Feedback & Coaching
2.4 Professional Development
Domain III: Positive School Culture
3.1 Safe Environment & High Expectations
3.2 Behavioral Expectations & Management Systems
3.3 Proactive & Responsive Student Support Services
3.4 Involving Families & Community
Domain IV: High-Quality Curriculum
4.1 Standards-based Curricula & Assessments
4.2 Instructional Resources & Professional Development
Domain V: Effective Instruction
5.1 High-Performing Instructional Leadership Team
5.2 Objective-Driven Plans
5.3 Effective Classroom Routines & Instructional Strategies
5.4 Data-Driven Instruction
5.5 Response to Intervention
Guideline for Implementation
If you are implementing the Updated T-PESS framework in your district for the 2020-2021 school year, use the following to guide setup in your Strive settings.
- Create a new Framework for T-PESS2 - name it T-PESS2
- Retain the original T-PESS framework for analysis and record tracking
- Copy the above domains and dimensions into the new T-PESS2 framework
- These will correspond with the framework we used for pre-tagged documents in Eduphoria Community.
- Explore the Eduphoria Community for templates titled "* 2021 T-PESS2..." in the Reflections, Observation and Summative folders for Principals and Assistant Principals
- These templates are replications of TEA's Updated T-PESS evaluation templates for the 2021-2022 implementation.
- Observation templates were used to allow the ability to "Import data from Observation into Summative".
- Download the templates you will use for the evaluation year.
- Find and import all the articles from the folder list below.
- Set the Evaluation Process for your Principals and Assistant Principals to reflect the use of the Updated T-PESS evaluation templates.
- Keep the T-PESS Principal Appraisee Type with the old T-PESS process, but you can rename if if you would like. Some disticts add "z_old_" to the beginning of the title to make it drop to the bottom of the list and indicate that it should not be used.
- Create NEW Appraisee Types for Principal and Assistant Principal, for the NEW T-PESS Framework, and use the new templates to create the processes for each of the two new groups.
New templates are available in the folders listed below:
Note: Please remove the year before using. **2021 - T-PESS 2 - Assistant Principal BOY Self-Assessment is renamed *T-PESS 2 - Assistant Principal BOY Self-Assessment.