The remote roster tool is used to securely transmit your roster data to the Eduphoria servers. This transfer relies on properly formatted data exports from your student information system (SIS), like Skyward, eSchoolPlus, or PowerSchool.
This version 3 update will allow Aware users to see more detailed demographics information, including Migrant, Homeless, Bilingual, ESL, and LEP statuses. For more information about this update, visit this article.
Step One: File Preparation
To prepare for the data transfer, your first step should be preparing the data export files, which are created through an automated process in your SIS. The entire export process will run automatically every night, and will generate four text or .CSV files corresponding to the layout required for your SIS in the Data Layout section of this article. For help configuring these exports, please contact your SIS vendor.
To save your preferences and properties, navigate to the the School Objects folder of your computer's Program Files, then select the Organization Configuration folder. Copy the .xml file to a temporary place. You will use it to replace the new, blank file that is generated with the new installation of the roster tool.
Step Two: User Account Preparation
Follow the steps below for preparing your user account for the transmission of your roster data. You will create or confirm an admin account that will only be used for this data transfer.
- Log in to your Eduphoria system through the web interface using your personal credentials, then click Web Manager.
- Click 'Manage Users' on the left side of the screen.
- Search for ‘email@example.com'.
- If this account exists but you are unsure of the password, update it now under the 'General' tab. If you know the password, skip to step 6.
- If this account does not exist, create it now by clicking 'Create a New User' on the bottom-left part of the screen.
- On the 'Roles' tab, check the System Administrator so it is selected. DO NOT use a user tied to an actual person within your district; to maintain the data transfer process, use only the dedicated roster admin account's username and password.
- Click the 'Save' button near the top of the page.
The automated process produces a nightly status email that sends a summary of recent changes to the roster to all Roster Administrators, so only provide this role to the appropriate staff members.
Step Three: Download and Run the Installer
- Download the installer.
- Run the installer and follow the pop up prompts to complete the installation.
Step Four: Configuring Server Settings
- Open the 'Eduphoria Roster Configuration’ icon on your desktop.
- Enter the username (email address) and password for the Admin account from Step Two.
- Click 'Save'.
- Click the ‘Test Connection’ button to ensure settings are correct.
- If the connection fails, ensure your details are entered correctly, then update the password for the admin account and try again.
You may now replace the newly generated .xml file with the backup of the original you saved in step one.
Step Five: Schedule Transfer
- On the tab ‘Schedule’, set a time between 9:00 pm and 3:30 am so export may run without any other conflicts.
- If you see a space for it, enter a username and password for an account on that server that has access to create the scheduled task.
- Click ‘Schedule Import’ to create the scheduled task.
- If there is an error, then the account used does not have access to create the scheduled task, or the username and password are not correct. Troubleshoot these problems, then try again.
Step Six: Configure SIS Settings
- On the tab ‘SIS Settings’, select your SIS in the drop down menu.
- Click the ‘Browse’ button and find the SIS export files you prepared or located in the Preparation section of this guide.
- Click ‘Save’.
Step Seven: Set up Manual Import
- On the ‘Server Settings’ tab, click ‘Run Now’ to start a manual import. This button will initiate the first import of these files, and will email a status report to the Eduphoria users with the Roster administrator role. The ‘Send Files’ button only re-sends the last data that was processed; it does not process the import files, so do not use this button to create a new manual import.